Can I apply for a short term disability?

Question: I have a slip disc in my back and work has advised me to pull off because I’m a truck driver and it could cause problems. Can I apply for a short term disability through UI (Unemployment Insurance) ?

Answer: Yes you can apply for std if you have these benefits.  You can also apply for employment insurance.  You can be disabled from work it you have a medical condition that prevents you from working safely. If this injury was caused at work you may have the option of applying for WSIB if you have WSIB coverage.