Driver refuses to give their information after a car accident

Question: Does the passenger (who sustained injury) in a motor vehicle accident have rights to the driver’s information such as address and insurance policy number? If the driver refuses, what is the passengers recourse?

Answer: You do have the right to that information. Section 200 of the Highway Traffic Act requires:

200. (1) Where an accident occurs on a highway, every person in charge of a vehicle or street car that is directly or indirectly involved in the accident shall,

(a) remain at or immediately return to the scene of the accident;

(b) render all possible assistance; and

(c) upon request, give in writing to anyone sustaining loss or injury or to any police officer or to any witness his or her name, address, driver’s licence number and jurisdiction of issuance, motor vehicle liability insurance policy insurer and policy number, name and address of the registered owner of the vehicle and the vehicle permit number

If you are not getting the information from the driver you can get it by purchasing the police report. The cost of the report in most cities is about $40.00.

If this is not available to you, contact a lawyer.

For more information please see: Do you need a police report to claim insurance for a car accident?